Aegean Airlines Miles+Bonus is considered the easiest frequent flyer program to earn Star Alliance Gold status. However, it will be harder to earn the same status starting this year.
Aegean Miles+Bonus Tier Qualification As Of May 31, 2023
Historically, the Miles+Bonus program offered the easiest elite qualification criteria among all other Star Alliance partners. You could earn the Gold status either by:
- Flying Aegean Airlines at least four times per year and earning 24,000 miles or,
- Earn 48,000 miles on any Star Alliance partners
This qualification surely attracted many frequent flyers as you could possibly fly two long-haul round-trips in a business class to earn the Gold tier. The retention of the tier was also generous as you could fly and earn half the required miles and segments.
But the above qualification will be applied through May 31, 2023, and as of June 1, 2023, a new change on tier retain & upgrade rules will be introduced.
Aegean Miles+Bonus New Tier Qualification Starting June 1, 2023
Starting June 1, 2023, a new tier qualification system will take place:
- To reach the Silver tier, you need to do is fly with AEGEAN and/or Olympic Air at least twice and earn 12,000 tier miles within 12 months, or collect a total of 35,000 tier miles regardless of the airline you choose to fly with.
- To retain your Silver tier, you have a fixed 12-month period from the date of your tier upgrade or renewal, to collect 8,000 tier miles including 2 flights with AEGEAN and/or Olympic Air, or collect a total of 35,000 tier miles, regardless of the airline you choose to fly with.
- To upgrade from Silver to Gold tier, you need to do is fly with AEGEAN and/or Olympic Air at least four times and earn 24,000 tier miles within 12 months, or collect a total of 70,000 tier miles, regardless of the airline you choose to fly with.
- To retain your Gold tier, you have a fixed 12-month period from the date of your tier upgrade or renewal, to collect 12,000 tier miles including 4 flights with AEGEAN and/or Olympic Air, or collect a total of 70,000 tier miles, regardless of the airline you choose to fly with.
The changes actually do not impact frequent flyers who earn tiers by flying minimum segments with Aegean but it has quite an impact on those who solely earn tiers by earning miles by flying on partners.
Aegean Airlines’ Purpose Of Miles+Bonus Changes
I believe the biggest reason behind the MIles+Blnus changes is revenue-related. Since Aegean Airlines do not have a wide route network, most people will credit their miles without flying Aegean and this might generate lesser profit for the airline.
Starting June 1, 2023, Aegean Airlines’ frequent flyer prom: Miles+Bonus will introduce a new tier qualification where it will require much more miles to reach the Gold tier. While there is no impact on members who fly the minimum segment on Aegean metals, it will greatly affect those who do not fly and earn tier.
Unless you live in a city where Aegean operates, the Miles+Bonus program will be less attractive to earn elite status. Instead, you will need to find other Star Alliance programs such as Avianca LifeMiles to credit your miles to earn elite tiers.