Thru September 14, 2022, British Airways Executive Club is selling Avios for a 50% bonus. With this promotion, if you purchase more than 2,000 Avios in a single transaction, you will receive an extra 50% Avios on top of your purchases.
The 50% bonus offer is valid until 23:59 (BST) September 14, 2022.
Purchasing British Airways Avios
Purchasing British Airways Avios is a straightforward process however there is one catch regarding the final amount that each individual person needs to pay. Strangely, the final amount of the bill is different depending on where you are living.
Check out the pricing chart below.
As you can see above chart, purchasing 200,000 Avios costs:
- Accounts registered in the UK will pay GBP3,215 equivalent to US$3,725
- Accounts registered in the EU will pay EUR3,601 equivalent to US$3,592
- Accounts registered in the US will pay US$5,523
So if you are purchasing Avios from the US registered address, you would pay an extra US$2,000 for the same amount of Avios.
In normal times, British Airways Avios can be purchased for up to 100,000 per calendar year before applicable bonuses. But during this bonus offer, the cap has increased to 200,000. This means you could receive 300,000 Avios for as low as GBP0.0107 or US$0.012 per Avios.
Keep in mind that there are terms and conditions for the purchase.
- This offer is only open to Members of the British Airways Executive Club (Eligible Participants).
- The offer is available from 00:01 (BST) Monday 5 September 2022 to 23:59 (BST) Wednesday 14 September 2022 only (the ‘Offer Period’).
- During the Offer Period, Eligible Participants will receive 50% extra Avios (bonus Avios) when they Purchase or Gift Avios.
- This offer is only valid when you Purchase or Gift 2,000 Avios and above. Offer is not valid when you Purchase or Gift 1,000 Avios.
- Eligible Participants may Gift Avios (purchase for someone else) during the promotional period, provided that the recipient holds a British Airways Executive Club account with at least one Avios point in their account.
- The Bonus Avios will not count towards your annual limit of 200,000 Avios.
Redeeming British Airways Avios
British Airways uses a distance-based award chart to redeem Avios. There is no official award chart the airline states on its website but you can check out the chart below to know roughly how much Avios is required.
I usually redeem British Airways Avios on American Airlines or Qatar Airways as it offers the best value but British Airways are notorious for having really high surcharges and taxes. So you should bear that in mind when redeeming Avios.
It only costs 51,500 Avios and US$5.60 in First Class on a transcontinental flight.
Another way of redeeming Avios is to transfer to Qatar Airways Privilege Club. I have recently transferred a couple of thousand British Airways Avios to Qatar Airways and redeemed Bangkok to Zurich on Qatar Airways First Class just for 107,000 Avios plus $250 in taxes.
So if you carefully research the routes and flights, there sure are great rates to redeem Avios.
British Airways is giving out a 50% bonus on Avios purchases through September 14, 2022. During this promotion, Executive Club members can purchase up to 300,000 Avios. This is a great deal, especially for those who reside in the EU and the UK as it offers the lowest rate to purchase.
But for those whose account is registered under US addresses, you might aim for Iberia or Qatar Airways bonus miles promotions as you can transfer between each account to British Airways Executive Club.