After more than three years of absence, Qantas has relaunched its flights connecting Sydney to New York with slight changes.
Qantas Relaunches Sydney – New York Route
Starting June 14, 2023, Qantas will once again be operating flights to New York via Auckland. Initially, the airline will be flying 3x weekly from Sydney on Sundays, Wednesdays, and Fridays and starting October 30, 2023, it will increase its frequency to 4x weekly. Here’s the detailed schedule below:
- QF3 Sydney to Auckland departing at 10:05 and arriving at 15:15
- QF3 Auckland to New York departing at 17:00 and arriving at 17:15
And for the inbound flight, the schedule is as below:
- QF4 New York to Auckland departing at 19:30 and arriving at 05:00 (+2 days)
- QF4 Auckland to Sydney departing at 06:30 and arriving at 08:05
The total flight time is blocked at 21hr10min outbound and 22hr35min inbound. This represents quite a flight time since the total distance from Sydney to New York via Auckland is about 10,173 miles. Excluding the Trans-Tasman flights, the Trans-Pacific itself covers 16hr15min and 17hr30min respectively.
A Boeing B787-9 will be used to fly to New York which features 236 seats: 48 Business Class, 28 Premium Economy and 166 Economy Class seats. This is one of the least dense B787 out there as it needs to operate ultra-long-haul distances.
Qantas’ Fifth-Freedom Route
One of the changes Qantas made between the Sydney and New York route was to introduce a fifth-freedom route between Auckland and New York as the airline has fifth-freedom rights. This means you can book a separate connecting flight from Auckland on Qantas if you are elsewhere.
Qantas Celebrating New York Launch With Limited Edition Amenities & Food
Celebrating the launch of the new route, Qantas has introduced a number of customer initiatives onboard QF3 and QF4, including limited edition pajamas and amenity kits designed by Australian designer Rebecca Vallance for Business Class passengers and New York-inspired menu items throughout the aircraft.
Qantas Creative Director Food, Beverage and Service, Neil Perry has created a range of New York-inspired dishes to and from New York and here is what you can expect from this flight:
- New York-style spaghetti and meatballs
- Classic Reuben sandwich
- NY bagel with lox, cream cheese, capers and lemon
- General Tso chicken with smashed cucumber salad, steamed rice and broccolini
- Classic beef hot dog with sauerkraut and spicy brown mustard
- Seared beef fillet with creamed spinach and baked potato with sour cream and chives
- Pecan pie with crème fraiche
- New York-style baked cheesecake with blueberry compote
In addition, the Qantas First Lounges in Sydney and Melbourne and the Auckland International Lounge will feature a New York-inspired dish of the day for the month of June, along with Manhattan Spritz and Garibaldi cocktails.
Starting June 14, 2023, Qantas has relaunched its flights from Sydney to New York via Auckland. Qantas will be flying this route 3x weekly and eventually increase its frequency to 4x weekly flights.